The Gospel According to St. Luke, Chapter 24 1 Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them. 2 And they found the stone rolled away from the sepulchre. 3 And they entered in, and found not the body of the Lord Jesus. 4 And it came to pass, as they were much perplexed thereabout, behold, two men stood by them in shining garments: 5 And as they were afraid, and bowed down their faces to the earth, they said unto them, Why seek ye the living among the dead? 6 He is not here, but is risen: remember how he spake unto you when he was yet in Galilee, 7 Saying, The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again. 8 And they remembered his words.
I hope that you all had a beautiful Easter celebration yesterday and took a moment to remember the life and work of our Savior, Jesus Christ. It was a tender day for us, as it was also the day that my baby, Ethan Thomas Boam, was stillborn five years ago. What a poignant experience to have that heartrending event coincide with the commemoration of the glorious resurrection of the Savior and the promise of resurrection and eternal life for each and every one of us. In fact, the last time Easter fell on March 23 was in 1913, and we will not see Easter on March 23 again in our lifetime. As many tears as I've shed over the tiny infant I held in my arms so briefly, I take great comfort in the knowledge I have of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The Lord has said, "Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? And one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows." (Matthew 10:29-31)
I know that the Lord knows and remembers my baby, Ethan, and that he will be mine again someday. President Joseph F. Smith said, “Joseph Smith taught the doctrine that the infant child that was laid away in death would come up in the resurrection as a child; and, pointing to the mother of a lifeless child, he said to her: ‘You will have the joy, the pleasure, and satisfaction of nurturing this child, after its resurrection, until it reaches the full stature of its spirit.’ There is restitution, there is growth, there is development, after the resurrection from death. I love this truth. It speaks volumes of happiness, of joy and gratitude to my soul. Thank the Lord he has revealed these principles to us.”
I echo those sentiments. It speaks volumes of happiness, of joy and gratitude to my soul. I look forward to the day when I will again be able to hold my baby and pray that I will be able to be patient and worthy of such an honor. I do not know why I was chosen to endure this trial in my life, but I also know that my narrow, mortal vision may not allow me to see the true blessing of being a mother to such a child. Joseph Smith taught, "The Lord takes many away, even in infancy, that they may escape the envy of man, and the sorrows and evils of this present world; they were too pure, too lovely, to live on earth.”
I thank the Lord again for the testimony that I have of these truths. I thank Him for the compassion He has for each of us. I especially thank Him for being patient with my inadequacies and for sending me comfort, peace and strength in my times of need. I know that He has suffered all that we have suffered and did so willingly out of an infinite love for us. I know that He lives. I humbly share these thoughts with you in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
5 comments:
Julie,
Thank you for those beautiful words. My thoughts are with you at this time of year. I look forward to the day that I get to hold Ethan as well. You are an amazing mom and a great example to me! Love Stef
Julie,
My heart goes out to you. Our thoughts were with you on Sunday especially. I found my journal entry from March 23, 2003, and want to share it with you. It was a difficult time for us all. You and Ryan have been such an amazing example of strength, courage and great faith, in the way you have handled this tragic event in your lives. We love you!
Lee & Myrna
Julie,
I didn't know that you lost a baby and that he was named Ethan (the name of my oldest). I appreciated your sharing your pain as well as your hope and conviction about the resurrection.
Thanks!
Sylvia
I wish we could've shared a more sacred and special moment together at the cemetery. Thanks for your touching tribute to our son. I love you.
Julie
Your words bring tears to my heart and pull at every emotional string that I have..
What a brave and courageous parent YOU are... and what a lucky boy Ethan is to have you and Ryan as his parents...
Thanks for your beautiful words and lovely scriptures. Truly, Easter is about Jesus and his resurrection, as well as a time to reflect on those that are on the other side...
I love baby Ethan too.
Post a Comment