Last Saturday my mom and I hosted a picnic for families who are affected by
Angelman Syndrome. She generously let us use her backyard and took over all of the food preparation. We had about 10 families come with kids of all ages. It was so fun to talk to each of them and to see how much they loved their children in spite of their challenges. It was also reassuring to meet people that are coping with the same things I do everyday, and they are not only happy and successful, but wouldn't change their lives. I came away with such a feeling of hope and gratitude, and I can't wait to do it again next year!
Here are some pictures from the event.

Sophia loved swimming and made lots of new friends.

All of my family was so supportive. Oma came, my siblings were there helping, and my dad and Leslie also came. I am so thankful to have such an awesome family to help me out.

It was so good for Ben to meet other kids who have siblings with A.S. He needed to know that he is not alone in the world. And they all had such a blast sliding and soaking each other with water guns.

This is Alex and his family.
This is Jasmine and her mom.
This is Elyssa.

This is Jada, Sam, Elyssa and Jasmine splashing it up.
There were lots more that I didn't get photos of, I was so busy chatting with everyone, but I think a great time was had by all.
Thanks, Mom, for all your hard work! I love you!
5 comments:
This is amazing!!! Good for you guys....it looks like it was such a success.
I noticed Ryan's XANGO shirt...are you guys into that?
I hope you are all able to have frequent communication so you can have that support that you need.
A definite feel good picnic.
(((Julie))) It looks like a great success! How wonderful for all of you to come together for sharing and support. My best to you and sweet Sophia.
What a precious gift to so many. Food, fun, and a common bond. I have just been reading about Angelman's Syndrome (glad you supplied links) -- it's a new one for me. Thanks for sharing so openly. Regardless of the "diagnosis," living with a special one has its challenges but oh the rewards come showering down (but sometimes we're just too tired to see it at the moment). Looks like you took the time and saw the joy and afforded a rare gift to other AS families. Bless you! : )
you know what is gonna happen don't you? you are gonna keep growing every year with more families that want to participate in your angelic summer get together that you will become this use organization and help people all over the U.S. That is so awesome. i can see it now! way to go julie!
Great memories of a wonderful day. I totally agree that it was a great benefit to Ben. Some of those siblings (esp. the older ones) were so awesome with their special Angels! I loved watching them. I just had to give a couple of them a hug and tell them they were an inspiration to the younger ones, who were just beginning to learn what it means to be touched by an "Angel". Many thanks, Julie and Terri, and the rest of your family, for making this happen.
Post a Comment