September 7, 2008

Hum Your Favorite Hymn

Thanks to Becky for this great idea! I wanted to share with you one of my favorite hymns-- O Divine Redeemer by Charles Gonoud. This song never fails to move me when I hear it. It speaks to the core of my soul, the place in my heart that knows how dependent I am on the strength and mercy of my Savior despite what my head tries to tell me when I am confronted with every day trials. It communicates to me in the most beautiful and gentle way possible that I am but one small and slightly rebellious creation amid all of His beatiful creations.
"O how great is the nothingness of the children of men; yea, even they are less than the dust of the earth. For behold, the dust of the earth moveth hither and thither, to the dividing asunder, at the command of our great and everlasting God. Yea, behold at his voice do the hills and the mountains tremble and quake. And by the power of his voice they are broken up, and become smooth, yea, even like unto a valley. Yea, by the power of his voice doth the whole earth shake; Yea, by the power of his voice, do the foundations rock, even to the very center. Yea, and if he say unto the earth—Move—it is moved.... therefore, for this cause, that men might be saved, hath repentance been declared. Therefore, blessed are they who will repent and hearken unto the voice of the Lord their God; for these are they that shall be saved. And may God grant, in his great fulness, that men might be brought unto repentance and good works, that they might be restored unto grace for grace, according to their works." (Helaman 12:7-24.)
And yet, I feel so much hope and joy knowing that despite my human weakness, Jesus Christ loves me, wants nothing more than to see me reach my divine potential and anxiously awaits my return to Him. I am so grateful for His atoning sacrifice, His wisdom, His grace and His love. I hope you enjoy the hymn.

3 comments:

Becky said...

The Hymn is beautiful. Very moving as the voices swell. Thank you for sharing it. :-)

myrna said...

I love the hymn and I admire your wonderful ability to Blog with a flair!

Life with the Warrens said...

i know this song! wow what a great reminder and you can hum it aloud or in your head or shout if from the roof tops and its message stays true and constant. you are so beautiful julie!