January 11, 2009
Why, Why, Why!?!
I was putting off blogging because I've been in a bad mood for about a week straight, but then I thought, why have a blog at all if I can't go there to vent about life's daily frustrations?
So, here is my frustration for the day, then. And I realize that there is no quantifiable answer or solution to this rant, so feel free to placate me with various Venusisms like, "I know how you feel..." and, "I am sorry you are going through that..."
Are you ready?
WHY, WHY, WHY is motherhood so inextricably linked with bodily fluids? I am sick and tired of dealing with other people's bodily emissions. Is it not enough that I have to take care of my own? I mean, long gone are the days when I went to lengths to lead my husband to believe that nothing ever escaped my body but wisps of the sweetest perfume. Now he just waltzes into the bathroom no matter what I'm doing, "Hey, baby. Whatcha got planned for today? And isn't the weather nice?" Sheesh! This is in addition, of course, to the children who have no concept of that blessed little thing known as privacy. And we won't even talk about those who may or may not have been present at the births of my children and seen unmentionable, shudder-inducing horrors.
But no, no. I must have something further to learn, because daily I am wiping noses, mouths, hands and bums. Snot, slobber, goo and poo. This cannot be the nobility in motherhood that people are always telling me about. Did I really spend an eternity preparing to come to earth so that I could clean up snot, slobber, goo and poo? Did I really spend my childhood dreaming about becoming a wife and mother just so I could do this? I swear if I am grabbed by one more pair of sticky hands, targeted by one more slimy achoo, accosted by one more pungent diaper, I will glady embrace my inner maniac and run screaming through the night-- probably trailing streams of snot, slobber, goo and poo.
And yet, I know that I will be as soon as the sun rises, if not sooner. And so I must look into their sweet and trusting faces and realize that to them, I am a goddess because I love them and care for them in spite of, and even because of, the things they cannot control. I know that the Lord has entrusted me with the care of His divine creations, these precious children. And I do truly feel blessed to have been given such an important job to do, though it might not be as glamorous as my mortal vanity would wish. I don't need to be fanned by palm fronds, fed grapes or rubbed with liquid gold. I will change the next diaper and be a better person for it.
I think.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
This was definitely worth waiting for! Thank goodness that children DO grow up, and they WILL eventually wipe their own bums and look for tissues vs mama to wipe their noses.
It's late at night, when all is asleep (and wiped clean) when we really do appreciate our little chillins.
You just hang in there! Winter season and those nasty cold bugs will be gone soon enough;)
i love this blog. i am glad that you saved up yourself to write this blog post. it must really be taxing you right now through this winter season. remember " this too shall pass" and you should be able to sleep, ignore your husband's bathroom conversations, stick your nose in a book or just imagine you are in a book to take away from all the yucky stuff we mothers have to go through. you are loved!
Hey I just sent you a big fat email last night... should have waited till today. You answered my question about the potty training... we won't go there and I got your sons name wrong. I'm a dork! I thought it was Ben but was going for the E.
Anyway, I am glad you spilled it all hear and I DO know exactly how you feel.
AND Why can't they take naps everyday until they are twelve??? or twenty???
(((MomhugS)))
I guess I shouldn't take guilty pleasure in these stories - but I do. And rest assured you will someday (quicker than you think) have guilty pleasure watching these babies as they take care of their own gooey children. Ah.....Karma.... :o)
Believe me, I do know how you feel and I can say "there, there" till the cows come home, but that won't speed you through this difficult season of life. It is just plain "the pits"! Just bring them down more often, so you can have a break from the mess! Love you, and yes, this too, shall pass (or is that a terribly insensitive pun????)
I have nothing to offer by way of advice, however, I am willing to offer a night on the town...Girl dinner? Good luck and I love you!
Ah . . . how well I remember the days of body-fluid hysteria! Yes it passes, but not fast enough. Just the other day we were driving around san Francisco and Rachel cried out, "I need a restroom or I'm gonna wet myself!" I glared at the 10-year-old imp and informed her that big girls don't wet themselves (and I hoped I was able to find a bathroom before she proved me wrong).
Hang in there. It does get better. : D
The worst part of wiping all that up is that they have to cry, whine, scream and try to avoid you, while you are trying to help them. how many kids have whined because I was wiping their nose.
Post a Comment