March 30, 2009

Creatures and Things...

This afternoon I decided to use the bathroom with the door shut. No big deal, right? You do it all the time. You close the door, lock it, maybe pick up a wrinkly magazine. In fact, you might be raising your eyebrows at the idea of someone not doing it. Ew, how rude! But consider that I am home alone with a two-year-old and a four-year-old and it becomes a different story. This is what goes on on the other side of closed doors:

Thing #1 and Thing #2 decide that cereal might make good confetti and dump it all over the floor. Thing #2 is obviously having great fun grinding it into the carpet. Thing #1 is a bit older and wiser and took off running when she saw me coming.

I haven't forgotten the fact that I do have a third child, the oldest of the bunch, but he is nearly ten and has graduated from Thing to Creature. Creatures are more secretive about their mischief. For example, a creature thinks that he if writes "Hi!" on the wall in teeny-tiny letters, no one will ever suspect it was him. Of course, when it is pointed out to the creature that he is the only child in the house who can spell, his volatile nature causes him to stomp off to his room and slam the door. It should also be noted that male creatures have peculiarly smelly feet and don't shut the door when using the bathroom either, but for entirely different reasons than their mothers.

I should start charging admission for people to come into my zoo... I mean, house.

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oops... At least they don't chew your shoes, like my "creature" does! :)

Jessie said...

I don't have children and therefore don't shut the door while in the bathroom. Does that make me a disgusting person? Perhaps!

Life with the Warrens said...

i love this post. thing 1 and 2 seem like a rather fun bunch to be around but creature sounds a bit like the dark side with that HI on the wall!

Debbie in CA : ) said...

Ha ha! We had barbaloots and naughty pixies around here (but they all wreak the same havoc when mom hears mother nature calling).

Ummm . . . tiny pencilled in "hi" can't be beaten by the pilot marker meadow of flowers in my laundry room (which has become a precious bit of art many years hence).

Hang in there . . . we're all smiling WITH you (at least I think we are). ; D

myrna said...

Save these pix for use as blackmail later, when Things and Creatures have significant others in their lives, and want to look really "cool" Don't ever tell that I said that!!!! Take heart, dear one. This phase really shall pass ;)

wackywilsons said...

Someday you will miss those little phrases on your wall! definitely will not ever miss the cereal thing though!

Funny story:)