When we rounded one serpentine curve in the road, the pristine white was suddenly marred by a big, brown blotch. There was a car ahead of us. A station wagon full of other choir members. A brown station wagon that was not moving! My fingers tightened on the wheel as I realized that this car was not only completely stopped, it was stopped in the middle of the road, straddling both lanes. To one side of us was a stark mountainside covered with craggy boulders, to the other was a steep ravine entrenched with jagged pine trees. There was nothing for me to do but desperately pump the brake and hope we would stop in time, but the slick and insidious snow slid us smack into the rear bumper of the wagon.
I am happy to report that not only was no one in either car injured, not one of them uttered a single four-letter word, either.
As we all piled out of the cars and into the snow to assess the situation, I frantically asked the other driver, "Why were you stopped in the middle of the road?"
"Well," he replied, "We were nervous about the snow, so we stopped to pray for safety."
I hope I don't have to point out the irony of stopping a car in a winter storm in the middle of a narrow, snow-packed canyon road to pray for safety. However, we were protected from serious damage and injury, and we were able to continue on to Escalante where after our performance, a lovely, generous couple allowed the entire choir to spend the rest of the night safe from the snow and sprawled across their sofas. In fact, I spent that night snuggled on a sofa with an 18-year-old boy who would grow up to become my husband.
*Sigh*
Good times! Where, oh, where is my rewind button?
1 comment:
This is a great memory...especially b/c it involves your hubby, faith, suspense and generosity.
I am so glad you jotted down this thought so that you can tell your kiddos about how you and Ryan spent Easter together years before they were born.
Post a Comment