My brain loves book club. It is the one night of the month where it gets a few hours of respite from thinking about diapers and dishes and tantrums, when I get to talk about something a little more adult than Dr. Seuss or Captain Underpants.
My heart loves book club, too. Not only are books one of my most favorite things, the people in my book club are so fun and talented and witty and intelligent. I love sitting amongst them and listening to them banter about whether or not to see the lastest movie and whether or not Stephenie Meyer needs a new editor.
Here is our reading list for the next several months. We have a Shelfari site, too. Please feel free to join in reading and discussing with us!
October: The Historian by Elizabeth Kostava
November: The Ghost Map by Steven Johnson
January: Frankenstien by Mary Shelley
February: Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winnifred Watson
March: For the Time Being by Annie Dillard
April: The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy
September 25, 2008
I Love Book Club!
My brain loves book club. It is the one night of the month where it gets a few hours of respite from thinking about diapers and dishes and tantrums, when I get to talk about something a little more adult than Dr. Seuss or Captain Underpants.
My heart loves book club, too. Not only are books one of my most favorite things, the people in my book club are so fun and talented and witty and intelligent. I love sitting amongst them and listening to them banter about whether or not to see the lastest movie and whether or not Stephenie Meyer needs a new editor.
Here is our reading list for the next several months. We have a Shelfari site, too. Please feel free to join in reading and discussing with us!
October: The Historian by Elizabeth Kostava
November: The Ghost Map by Steven Johnson
January: Frankenstien by Mary Shelley
February: Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winnifred Watson
March: For the Time Being by Annie Dillard
April: The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
those sound like great books. glad you get a night out. it should be more than just one night. yes SM needs a new publisher. maybe we are just so well read that we notice these things but i agree. alot gets lost and messed up due to publishers and their deadlines.
I live in a cave. I have heard of ONE of those books...well two but only because I just rented the movie :-0. You are one of my most brilliant friends. I will have to go to the library and actually make it out of the children's section.
I love it too, and you state it all so cleverly! Thanks for including me. Renatta loves it too, I think we are all like-minded, and that's so great.
So, I read the Historian on my own. A good friend had started it and was loving it. However, when I checked back with her toward the end of the book, she had been disappointed by the finale of the book. I have to confess I was too. I felt like the author started with a great, intriguing premise and then in the middle of the book, she just went on too long and there was too much coincidental meeting that happened at the right moments and then the end was so very anti-climactic that I was really left disappointed.
This book had huge potential and it let me down. Now, when you're done, you'll have to post and tell me if you agree--of course you will, I'm always right (ha, ha).
Ooooh! I just love book clubs. Not in one at the moment, but I still read voraciously. Have read several on your list. LOVE Annie Dillard, though my daughter emphatically states, "She's not everyone's cup of tea, mom!" I may just read along with one or two of your selections. Hope you post regular thoughts about the club, the books, aaaaahhh ... what a delightful respite from hearthkeeping. Many a day I lived through the diapers and dishes with a book in one hand and an eager anticipation for book club night with discussion amongst other readers. Such joy! : )
Post a Comment