October 7, 2008

Too Blah to Blog?

I haven't been in the mood to blog lately. I don't know why, exactly. I just have the blog blahs. But for those of you who are desperately curious as to what could make a stay-at-home mom keep getting out of bed in the morning, here is a glimpse of the last week or so...
Ryan and I spent a night in Park City while Oma watched the kids for us. It was a belated birthday celebration, and we really enjoyed having an evening to ourselves. Park City was chilly but gorgeous with all of the leaves on the mountains showing off their glorious fall colors.
Sophia made some great progress this week as she suddenly started waving bye-bye, blowing kisses and signing to wash her hands. One morning as I dropped her off at school, I blew her a kiss and she did it back to me. Her teacher and I were practically jumping up and down, we were so excited! (The photo to the left is her putting her hand up to her mouth before making the "Bwah!" sound and throwing the kiss.) That same day she rubbed her hands together-- the sign for "wash hands"-- as the class lined up to wash their hands before snacktime. What a pumpkin! We are so pleased with her and are looking forward to seeing more progress. We had her annual IEP meeting to plan goals for her to work on at school, and I am so thankful for her teachers and therapists who love her and are willing to put their time and effort into helping her. We truly are blessed!
Sophia also enjoyed making some serious mischief this week. She pulled a tupperware of salad out of the fridge-- yes, she has defeated the fridge lock, aren't you proud?-- and dumped it all over the kitchen floor. And the next day she dragged a stool over to the counter so that she could reach a container of oatmeal and proceeded to dump that all over the floor and play in it like a sandbox. Isabella joined her, of course. And what does this say about me? I figured it was already a huge mess, so I just let them play!!!
Probably the biggest news we have, or at the very least, the cutest photos, is that it SNOWED! And I am not talking about a measly little dusting of snow that usually graces us this time of year. It dumped buckets and buckets of big, fat snowflakes! The girls absolutely loved it!

5 comments:

Debbie in CA : ) said...

Delightful update! Lots of exciting stuff, especially regarding Sophia. Precious! I'll keep praying and I know God will keep blessing (He always does).

Oatmeal isn't synonymous with sandbox? What?!?!? We had a big tub of it for tactile playtime. Rice and beans and yogurt are fun too (though probably best not to have it in a serendipitous splashing on the floor -- get a big bowl and have lots more fun).

Sounds like the blog is taking second place to some pretty great stuff (and that's right where it belongs). ; )

Always fun to come visit you.

p.s.
I have snow envy! We're expecting 70s and 80s this week. : (

Becky said...

Wow Julie sounds like a full week. I am so proud of Sophia with you. Maybe the sign for "potty" will be next.

LOL about the oatmeal. You are such a good Mommy. I would have been screaming an sweeping and freaking.

I have been missing you too. I got notification of the e card you sent after our phone conversation but no matter what I tried I couldn't get it to open. I should have told you sooner.

BTW no snow envy from me but I can't believe you got some already!

Love ya! :-)

Life with the Warrens said...

you are such an amazzzing mom! i probably would have been very frustrated or upset about a messy kitchen. but well worth the fun! hey you and me both got the blogging blues. we are finally experiencing some cooler weather with leaves falling and changing colors. and the wind. i love it. but jeremy and i lamented last night as we snuggled up in bed how much we would miss the snow this year. what will the girls do when they wake up on christmas and not see any snow?

Mindy said...

this comment is from Myrna: Wow, a whole big kitchen floor filled with oat flakes! That has got to be one of the funnest ways to spend a wintry day! You are right, once the damage is done, just let them enjoy the tactile experience. Why don't more Moms "get it"???? That's why vacuums were invented, right? Funny pix post-snowstorm! What is up with that weather???? We were really glad to be in Seattle, missing that fun! I'll have to get my camera out and share some of our fun with you ;)

wackywilsons said...

wow............snow............great for pictures, rough on cars, but perfect for hot chocolate and snuggling up in a blanket!

I am glad you posted b/c you have been MIA for too long! Don't leave us hanging like this!